simplisave mobile app
SimpliSave is the financial management app I designed with the purpose of empowering young adults to save money by creating goals.
- Saving money is important, especially for young adults. However, it is also difficult.
- During their 20s and 30s, many individuals make significant purchases and financial investments such as homes, cars, weddings, children, etc.
- I want to empower young adults to manage their money so they can work towards a fiscally-secure future.
- Create a product that supports an individual's desire to manage their spending, grow their savings, and reach their financial goals.
- Design simple, usable features that fulfill user needs for goal-based financial management.
- Target users: Individuals aged 16-24yr.
- Conducted needs finding study and found that individuals have low confidence in their ability to save money, few keep a budget, and many are frequent users of personal banking apps.
- Based on initial feedback, I performed ideation, brainstorming, competitive analysis, and sketching to further develop my ideas.
- To incorporate human needs, feelings, motivations, and emotions, I created personas, scenarios, and storyboards.
- Developed concept further with wireframes and task flows.
- Experimented with various layout possibilities and modeled my designs after popular budget and banking mobile apps.
- Based on these initial designs, I created paper prototypes to test with users.
- After these tests, I created a medium-fidelity prototype with user feedback in mind.
- I designed with simple, cool colors such as slate grey, white, and silver to communicate a sense of calmness and control.
- Conducted an additional round of user testing with the medium-fidelity prototype.
- Following this second test, I finalized the project with a series of high-fidelity screen designs.
- Some aspects of the user interface changed as I worked to create a more realistic prototype.
results & impact
- User tests yielded high task success rates (90-100%), low task completion times(<2min/task), and positive participant feedback ( "I love how simple the navigation is", "The interface is clean.")
- Upon assignment completion, 25+ screens were designed.
- The final prototype earned an SUS score of 97 - an "excellent" rating.
- Test participants expressed interest in using SimpliSave to reach their financial goals.
"i would use this app"
- Find opportunities to make SimpliSave a more unique product.
- Conduct additional research on the psychology of motivation as it relates to spending and saving.
- Further refine and simplify the interface, experimenting with font and color scheme.